Tuesday, October 7, 2008

First Day Teaching





Monday was my first day at school and I went without Mirna the other American teacher since she went to Cadiz to get some paperwork taken care of. I was glad though because it put me on the spot to practice my Spanish. Everyone in the school was so incredibly nice and their English was much better than I had expected.

I was only going to work with two teachers but after talking with the PE teacher about teaching aerobics and telling the music teacher that I wanted to learn guitar they switched my schedule so that I work with both of them as well and I also have Friday’s off! Which will be good for traveling.

The kids are adorable. Mirna chose to work with the older (7+) children so I work with the little ones (3+). We pretty much just sing good morning songs and play with puppets and color. With the older ones its the same thing. They are learning school things (pencil, eraser-they call it a rubber, desk, chair). The three year olds are my fav because they are quieter and are super cute. The older kids scream at me from all directions to help them, look at their coloring etc. Maestra!!! Teacher!!! Alejandra!!! They are fun though and are so excited to learn English. We also play games like Who Stole the Cookie from the Cookie Jar, and I Spy. 

One of the little 3 year old girls just walked around the room saying Mama for the entire 1/2 an hour. It was cute but I didn’t really know what to do when she just stood in front of me repeating that. 

After the second day the teachers that I work with invited Mirna and me out for a beer after classes. It was fun to get to know them outside of the classroom and practice Spanish while they practiced their English a little as well. 

Tomorrow one of the administrators is taking us to get bank accounts and I have my first music class! 

I also watched some TV during lunch yesterday and Sweet Valley High was on...in Spanish...awesome. 

That night when I went grocery shopping I ran into one of my little girls from school and she and her sister followed us around the grocery store talking non-stop...it was kinda cute...even though I had no idea what they were talking about.

No comments: