Thursday, January 8, 2009

Come EGGain?


Jan 6, 2009


Today I got egged. Not once, not twice, but three times. Yup. Egged. I can honestly say that this is one of those things that I know happen to people but I just assumed (and hoped!) I would never experience. But, indeed it did.. I still can’t believe it.


Today is the day of Kings in Spain which is when they give presents, some give a few presents on the 25th now due to cultural influence but traditionally it is done here on the 6th. Today is a religious day. Families are together, people go on walks and hang out with their friends, more or less like our Christmas day.


The weather was pretty nice so my roommate and I decided to go sit out and read on the beach. There is an elevated area with benches near the beach that a lot of kids sit on and I had noticed that there was a huge group of young guys sitting there...they were probably 15-16ish. I could see them looking at us which I’m now quite used to since I’m pretty much the only redhead in town but I’ve had young guys come up to us on the beach and harass us before so I was a little leery. A few minutes later something hit us, at first I thought it was sand but upon closer inspection, I realized we were getting pegged with eggs from about 15 guys, in the middle of the afternoon, in front of everyone out with their families on the boardwalk, on El dia de los Reyes Magos. 


The first time it happened I thought it was hilarious and just about died laughing since never in my life did I think I would be able to say that I actually got egged, and my roommate and I were pretty stunned but decided to keep on reading to A) make a statement and B) enjoy the nice weather since we had been cooped up in the apartment due to rain. A few egg stains never killed anyone. 


But then they came back. With more eggs than before. This time not quite as hilarious since 15 high school guys with an unlimited egg supply can be a little freaky and very messy. I did find one egg that hadn’t broken and gave it to Mirna since my aim is terrible and I was kinda shaky..she did manage to hit the ring leader, one tiny piece of dignity restored! 


So we packed up and headed back to the boardwalk with as much pride as we could muster up, and they continued pelting us with eggs...thankfully you can dodge eggs pretty easily so it was just annoying at this point. Also a bit embarrassing since this was clearly causing a scene and it seemed like everyone in Barbate was out with their families. Some older people were nice enough to comfort us and call the police while we tried to quickly dodge the scene and get home and wash our clothes.


We didn’t recognize any of the guys and they most likely wouldn't be any of our students since they seemed a little older. So we don’t know if they went after us because we were 2 girls alone on the beach and easy prey, or if they knew who we were and wanted to torment the foreigners. Who knows?


Either way, it gives me a priceless memory and comic story...teenage boys will be teenage boys I suppose.


The day that I got egged...ohhh man. Just another day in Barbate. ;) 



2 comments:

Mandie said...

I think you should hang out at that beach again with your own ammo -- maybe something American, like say apples. Wait til they come back and attack! Symbolic and probably a bit more painful than eggs. Although not as fun and messy for effect.

Only things like this happen to you, by the way.

FrankDrebbin said...

Eggceptional story and title Alex. I wonder, do eggs really stain? I've never had the lucky experience of getting pelted with chicken period. But i like the comment above, something american like apples haha